Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
To begin with, it would be useful to explain what adaptogens are. They are a series of plants and mushrooms that can improve our body’s ability to resist physical and emotional stress. As their name indicates, “adaptogens” make it possible for our body to better adapt to stress factors that may affect our health (work tension, family arguments, etc.).
We still don’t know exactly how they work, but all indications suggest that adaptogens are responsible for coping with stress through the most appropriate hormonal response. In fact, several studies have shown that they are able to regulate cortisol, also known as the “stress hormone”.
Cortisol and adaptogens
Let’s imagine that one morning you are walking in the park and a huge dog starts barking at you. At that moment, the body releases cortisol, which is responsible for regulating blood sugar levels and giving the body the energy, it needs to escape from threatening situations. In addition, an increased cortisol level lowers the body’s defenses and suppresses the digestive and reproductive systems and growth processes, precisely in order to optimize the body’s energy and use it exclusively to get out of this emergency situation. When this natural warning mechanism (stress) ceases to be punctual and becomes chronic, then it becomes a problem. It implies that cortisol levels are continuously elevated, leading to the appearance of various health problems.
At Zenement, we have several adaptogens available, each with different properties. However, they all have in common their ability to relieve stress. We are referring to Ginseng, Maca, Ashwagandha, and Reishi. We are going to detail their properties below so that you can choose the one that best suits you.
Ginseng is ideal for memory enhancement
It is known, above all, for its ability to stimulate cognitive activity. Ginseng is also said to have hypoglycemic and immune system stimulating properties. The consumption of this adaptogen is recommended during exam periods and to improve the quality of life of elderly people.
- Zenement Panax Ginseng is a Korean Red Ginseng root concentrate extract. Each capsule contains the equivalent of 2.4 grams of root. How to use: Take 1 capsule in the morning.
Maca helps provide energy
The so-called “Peruvian ginseng” helps against fatigue; therefore, it is used as an energizer and to improve sports performance. In addition, maca is an adaptogen that protects against menopausal symptoms – hot flashes – osteoporosis and increases sexual desire. It is recommended for women over 50, athletes and people who start the day with low energy.
- Zenement Maca Extract is a Yellow Maca Root concentrated extract. Each capsule contains the equivalent of 4 grams of root. How to use: Take 1 capsule in the morning.
Ashwagandha improves sleep quality
It is known as ” Rasayana ” or the essence of life. Many clinical studies have shown that Ashwagandha clears the mind and promotes mental relaxation. This is why it is used to relieve insomnia. If you suffer from sleeping problems due to stress, this is your adaptogen. Ashwagandha also boosts your mood, increases energy, and prevents spring asthenia.
- Organic Ashwagandha Root Extract by Zenement. Each capsule contains 550 mg of Ashwagandha KSM-66 extract. How to use: if you are looking to improve your sleep quality, take 1 capsule with your evening meal; whereas, if you need help to cope better with stress throughout the day, take 1 capsule in the morning.
Reishi helps to delay aging
This is why it is known as “the mushroom of immortality.” Aging is characterized, among other things, by an increase in oxidative stress and a decline in the immune system. Reishi provides antioxidants that help fight oxidation in the body and strengthen the immune system thanks to beta-glucans. If you not only want to relieve stress but also want to keep your body young, this adaptogen may be your best choice.
- Reishi Extract by Zenement is a Ganoderma lucidum concentrated extract. Each capsule contains the equivalent of 12 grams of the fungus (fruit). How to use: take 1 capsule per day with any meal.
Adaptogen General Precautions
- Do not take these supplements when pregnant or breastfeeding, as there is not enough evidence regarding their safe consumption during these periods.
- If you have a hormone-sensitive illness; it is important to consult your medical specialist beforehand.
- If you take any medication, consult your doctor before taking any food supplement.